Going Vegan is Easy
(LaGrange, Il, US)
Once you learn a little about vegan substitutes for meat and dairy, and the stores that sell these products...going vegan is easy! It is too easy! I make dinner, and sometimes I make too much. This is because I have all these fresh, yummy foods on hand.
Just do some online research into vegan food products. Then read some recipes. It gets easier every week.
I think going vegan is like all things...it takes a little practice. My meat-eating husband now requests some of my vegan meals!
Things to look into:
- Tofutti brand sour cream and cheeses...really GREAT!
- Nutritional yeast flakes...tastes like parmesan cheese!
- Boca's vegan options
- Explore farmers markets and organic produce!
- Try the fruit/veggie you never tried!
- Dark leafy greens mixed into whole grain pasta with olive oil and garlic...YUM!
- Anything with tomatoes!
- AVOCADOS and GARBANZO BEANS. These things are naturally CREAMY...if I crave "creamy", I eat these!
This list goes on and on...do some on-line research. I found that going vegan was FUN!
As far as restaurants go...ASK ASK ASK!!! Most restaurant staff is very helpful, and they can recommend what to order if you don't see it on the menu. I even had one waitress say "Vegan?...GOOD FOR YOU! That is great!". I then had the most AMAZING VEGAN FAJITAS ever! I think the kitchen staff saw it as a cool challenge, and they even asked me how everything was!
You might be a little shocked at how people respect a vegan, and how many products are really out there! Going vegan is easy; at least easier than you might think.